Many different plans were proposed for the New Harbour at Holyhead amongst which were those from Captain H. Evans
- Holyhead Harbour Master, J. Walker C.E. to the Admiralty, Captain Beechy R.N.The successful application was
made by J. M. Rendell C.E. of Westminster, who proposed the splendid design we see today. It consisted of a breakwater 5,100 feet long, from Soldier's Point to terminate at the Platter's Buoy, and a 2,100 ft pier from
Salt Island, enclosing an area of 316 acres, three quarters of a mile long, at an estimated cost of £700,000.
The contractors were Messrs. J. and C. Rigby, London,G. C. Dobson was the resident engineer, G.F. Lyster the
Assistant Engineer, Mr. J. Radford - General Manager and Mr. R. Cousins - engineer for the contractors.
The work began in January 1848. It took 12 months to lay down railway lines to the quarries, erecting
stages and other necessary preparations. Broad gauge was used for the railway as this enabled the contractors
to bring heavier stone on to the site. An average of 1,300 men were employed on this project. The Moelfre
quarry from which Limestone was produced and Holyhead Mountain from which was extracted schistus quarts - were
the quarried used. The work was very hazardous and more than 40 men lost their lives between 1849 and 1852.
In May 1853, Queen Victoria, Prince Albert together with other members of the Royal Family witnessed 20,000
tons of rock being brought down by 400lbs of explosives.
The largest explosion of all took place when 16,000lbs of explosive removed 90.000 tons of rock!
The work took 28 years to complete, and ended in 1876.